Adventure Plaid BelcarraFebruary 23, 2015 / byLaney / Categories : Feeds
Hello! Today I am sharing with you a shirt I actually made and photographed in the fall, before Boston was covered in over 3 feet of snow and it was possible to take photos outside without getting frostbite or risk being buried in an avalanche.
We had gotten this plaid flannel – called “Adventure Plaid” in at Grey’s Fabric and it was very popular and almost all bought up right away – and with such fun colors how could it not be? There was a 1 1/4 length left on the bolt, and although I am not generally drawn to plaids in my wardrobe (or orange or navy blue for that matter, ha!), I decided I had to have it and find a way to make something from it. I ruminated on it for a while, and after seeing a Belcarra Blouse made from this exact fabric by one of Grey’s customers on instagram I knew I had to make one for my own. I thought it would be especially cute layered over a long sleeved collared shirt, and so it was decided.
I opted for view C with the sleeve cuffs and cute little pocket. I very carefully arranged and cut the pieces just eeking out what I needed for pattern matching and proper grain placement – It really delights me to optimize pattern piece placement to get the most out of my fabric – it’s like a puzzle! Because I wanted to be sure and cut the plaid properly I cut everything out on the flat, as opposed to on the fold – this technique also really helps you get more from your fabric yardage too. I realized that I would not be able to match the plaid along the curved shoulder seam of the sleeves, so I cut them to match as best as possible along the raglan seams. The pocket and sleeve cuffs were cut on the bias. I thought using the flannel for the bias binding at the neck would be too bulky so I cut the bias binding from a scrap of white cotton.
Assembly went very quickly and without any hiccups. I added topstitching along the raglan seams. I serged my seam allowance to finish the seams – if it were a lighter weight fabric I probably would have opted for french seams, but that would have been much too bulky in this material. I tend to serge pre-construction, being careful not to cut any of the raw edges off so it won’t affect the finished seam allowance and fit – how about you? are you in the pre- or post- construction serging school? While working for the theater costume shop in college we would pre-serge all our seams so perhaps my habit is a lay-over from those times.
I am pleased with the fit – even in such a heavy weight fabric. It is a tad boxy, but still fits well around the chest.
1 1/4 yds Adventure Plaid Flannel
Scrap of white fabric for neck bias binding
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Katy & Laney
You may like
I’ve wanted a pair of wide legged challis pants for quite some time. Because every once in awhile during the summer, I want to wear a pair of pants. In my former life, I would make a pair of linen pants every summer but they seem a little too formal fo…read more
Another garment that was finished (and photographed) a year ago. Good thing I have these “archives” left to post on my blog, because my sewing output has reduced dramatically over the last year. This is New Look 6444. We bought this embroidered cotton on our first trip to Chiang Mai (you may remember the pink… Continue reading New Look 6444read more
HI DARLINGS! So last month when ZARA had their big sale I picked up a few things including this skirt. When I got home to try it on, because I was lazy at the store and didn’t do it there, lol I pulled it on and after I got to my chest I thought “I bet […]read more
Here’s a fun fact about me: I have never been a bridesmaid before. Never! I would almost say I’ve never been in a wedding at all, but I did get to carry the bride’s train in a wedding when I was really young (I think 8 – it was for my mom’s best friend). Is […]read more