weekend linksJanuary 27, 2017 / byLiesl Gibson / Categories : Feeds
Did you see this breathtaking jacket from the Martin Margiela collection? I posted an photo of it to Instagram the other day, too. It’s made from a single piece of tulle hand-sewn to the jacket fabric itself, and it was made in a collaboration between Margiela’s designer John Galliano and the artist Benjamin Shine. It’s amazing isn’t it?
You can read more about it here. Maybe this will inspire you to try something out-of-the-ordinary this weekend? Perhaps a little fabric manipulation of your own? I highly recommend the book The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff if you want to learn more different ways to play with fabric, including smocking, pleating, and many other techniques. Obviously it won’t teach you how that jacket was made, but it might give you some ideas to try on your own.
This week I’m feeling inspired by these peachy shades of pink.
S and I have been cracking up over these animal selfies.
Here’s a little styling inspiration for the Lisette for Butterick B6244 coat (it makes a great cardigan, too!) and the Liesl + Co Weekend Getaway Blouse.
Loving the block-y, piece-y feeling of this quilt and its color palette.
And here is a little blue inspiration to balance out some of those shades of pink.
Weekend Reading (and Watching)
- Is it too cold to go outside this weekend? Here’s a collection of beautiful embroidery to inspire a project or two.
- Shops like The Gap use these clothing folders to ensure everything is folded to the same size. I made one for S last week, and her bedroom has been much neater ever since! She actually enjoys using it.
- Those of you who have been married a long time will probably find yourself nodding to this one: what does romance look like after 10 years of marriage?
- We first saw the castelleres when we spent a month living in Barcelona a few years ago. Somehow I thought it was a tradition practiced across the whole of Spain, but it turns out that it’s specific to the region of Catalonia. (video)
- Your daily weep: Bear and its child, reunited after tragedy.
- If you’re completely fed up with winter, here’s something beautiful to make it a little better. (Honestly, this makes me wish for those insanely cold winters in Wisconsin when we would ice skate on the frozen lakes. There’s nothing better, I swear.)
- Early-morning workout at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So great, and so well written it feels almost like being there in person. (And a big hello to Kay Gardiner, who I see right there in the front….)
We’ll be back next week with a really cute, free Valentine project for you as well as a long-awaited visit from Flat S! Have a great weekend, everyone.
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Oliver + S
You may like
I’ve been promising Mr W something handmade for years. It’s usually met with a look of doubt, those shifty eyes that say “yeah, right!” The first thing I thought I’d make was some shirts, found lovely ex-Paul Smith fabric at some of the sewing shows. Then he got fussy – “make sure the stripes follow … Continue reading “Coat Progress – Sewing Menswear”read more