How to Make a Family Kindness JarMarch 27, 2017 / byBrittany Kelly / Categories : Feeds
A family kindness jar is one of the many ways we can teach our children about the benefits of being kind. Through activities like this we can teach our children that being kind is not only beneficial to others, but to ourselves as well!
Simple kindness activities for kids are all that is needed when trying to instill these values in your children. You don’t necessarily have to teach kids to be kind, you just need to show them. It is our job as parents to show kids that being kind to others is a huge part of life.
How to Make a Family Kindness Jar
We learned about this idea from the book Make & Share Random Acts of Kindness: Simple Crafts and Recipes to Give and Spread Joy. The book is intended for kids to learn kindness through simple crafts and activities.
The book came with cutouts in the back, which are beautiful, but all you really need are pieces of paper!
This is such a simple activity that takes minimal supplies. All you need is those three things and your family members!
- Gather your supplies and your family!
- Take turns coming up with random acts of kindness that you would like to complete as a family and write them down on your pieces of paper.
- Put all of your papers in the jar and decide on how often you are going to complete these acts of kindness. Weekly, bi-weekly, monthly?
- Take turns drawing an act of kindness out of the jar and completing them as a family!
If you want to get even more creative, you can decorate the jar too!
Family Kindness Jar Ideas
You can either come up with the ideas as a family or have each individual family member write down what act of kindness they would like to have the family participate in. If your children are having a hard time coming up with what they would like to do, here are some conversation starters to get their minds going.
- Who do you want to show kindness to? Animals? Your teacher? A friend?
- Do you want to make a gift? Bake some treats to give? Commit an act of service?
Here are some more ideas for your family kindness jar:
- Wash a neighbors car.
- Pick up litter in the neighborhood.
- Bake cookies for the police or firefighters in your town.
- Write your teacher a letter of appreciation.
- Make a blessing bag for the homeless.
- Walk a neighbors dog.
Children are typically kind and once they get the conversation going they will probably think of a million different ways to show kindness! Have fun and enjoy practicing kindness with your children through the family kindness jar!
Want more great kids activities like this one? Follow Kids Activities Blog on Pinterest!
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Kids Activities Blog
You may like
Surprise Watercolor Drawings are a fun way to paint! Kids can make their creations, give them to a friend, and watch as their friend uncovers the magic drawing using watercolor paint! We’ve partnered with Imperial Sugar to bring you this fun activity, featuring sugar glue that you can make at home! Surprise Watercolor Drawings…read more
PATTERN DETAILS I’m excited to share with you all this super easy tutorial for making easy felt animal masks. Plus you can find a free pattern for the four masks shown here. My kids loved them and had fun galloping around the house…I may have joined in the fun! Two of the patterns are woodland […]read more