Notes on a Pattern – McCall M7445 PantsMarch 30, 2017 / byCennetta / Categories : Feeds
Today I'd like to share my fitting and sewing experience with McCall's M7445. This a Melissa Watson for Palmer/Pletsch pattern. The guidesheet includes fitting recommendations and the pattern has the alteration or adjustment lines drawn on the pattern pieces. These additions are helpful and save some time on preparation for adjustments.
Because I've made my "usual" adjustments so many times and, for the most part, found what works for me, I only glossed over the instructions. But for this post, I decided to read fit recommendations to see if there were any helpful tips, and there were. Especially if you are having trouble with fitting your pants. Below are a few suggestions:
- Read pages 2 and 3 to fit your bottom half
- Prepare tissue for a "tissue fit" of the pants
- Fit the crotch area by pulling the pattern close to the your body (crotch area to make assessments on changes needed.
- Note pulls, gaps and sags in the pattern, follow the recommended adjustments. You may have to tweak a little more in the fabric muslin or pant.
- Shorter front crotch - I pulled up the excess and removed about 1/2" from the top instead of folding out the excess near the crotch line as illustrated in the guide sheet. Starting from the center front seam with removing 1/2" blending to the side seam. My pants sit about a 1.5" above the waist. This is where I want them to sit.
- The back crotch is almost perfect. I lengthen the back hook by 1/2".
- I prefer a curved waistband. That's where McCall M5818 comes in. I love this pants pattern. I subsituted the curved waistband for the straight. On the back waistband, I folded out the excess near the center back so that the waistband does not stand away from my body.
- Palmer/Pletsch pattern include 1" side seam allowances, which make it easy to tweak the pants as you sew. Luckily, I did not need it, but it's good to have a little extra width to fit the circumstance of your body.
- The pants are cropped, which are not my favorite for flare legged pants. So I added several inches to make them long.
- Added interfacing at the pocket opening to stablize the area.
- Added interfacing to the center front to stablize where the zipper will be placed.
- Added a fly. It looks nicer.
- Added seam binded to the hem. It looks nicer.
- For the brown pair I stitched the verticle section of the pocket opening closed to eliminate any gapping in the tummy area. The fabric has a lot of stretch in it. The stitching helps maintain the appearance of "matched stripes" in the pocket area. This step was not done for the orange pair as the fabric is crisp with just a little stretch.
- Added a button to inside closure.
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at The Mahogany Stylist
You may like
On Monday (Day 11 in our Advent Calendar), the activity was to bake “puff pastry pesto Christmas trees”. (wow, try to say that fast ten times ! LOL) It was a little bit messy, a little bit tricky (the dough gets warm fast & is hard to manage !) but…read more