Barkcloth BagsApril 30, 2017 / bySara Lawson / Categories : Feeds
I made a couple of bags from the new barkcloth fabrics from Hoffman Fabrics. I have been really into the Me+You batiks, and their creator, Aaron Hoffman, is an accomplished surfer. When I received these fabrics in the mail to make the samples, I searched on some online surf and skateboarding shops to get some inspiration for what project I would make with them.
I decided to make a Cumberland Backpack from the dark floral barkcloth fabric. Because of the larger weave of the barkcloth fabrics, I interfaced them with Pellon Shape Flex before attaching to foam interfacing. This backpack is the large size (there is a smaller version also included in the pattern).
I used a small bit of Fawn cork fabric from my shop for the sides of the front pocket. You can see all of my available colors and designs of cork fabric here. I thought the cork paired nicely with the vibe of the fabric. This backpack was reeaallly hard to send off – it’s probably one of my top 10 favorite things I’ve ever made. It’s just so cool.
I also made a Coalition Bag in duffle size with a second piece of Hoffman barkcloth. This leaf print is huge, so the Coalition seemed like the best choice. Again, I used Fawn cork for the accents and handles. This is a great gender-neutral bag (or I could see someone using this bag for a trip to Hawaii for sure!).
What did you think of these bags? I hope you liked them! Ask at your local quilt shop for the Hoffman barkcloth fabrics!
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Sew Sweetness
You may like
Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…read more
I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.
This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:
Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).
There were two things I changed to the pattern:
- the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
- the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.
The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.
Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.read more