DIY CRUSHED VELVET WIDE LEG PANTSApril 25, 2017 / byMimi G / Categories : Feeds
HI DARLINGS! I hope you’re having a great week. We are finalizing the May issue of SEW SEW DEF MAGAZINE and it looks amazing. There is just so much work that goes into every single issue that I am finding myself re-working our in-house editorial calendar just to make things work. Today’s #DIY barely made […]
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Mimi G Style
You may like
Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…read more
I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.
This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:
Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).
There were two things I changed to the pattern:
- the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
- the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.
The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.
Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.read more