Empowering OthersApril 14, 2017 / byRhonda Buss / Categories : Feeds
A friend emailed me about an event that will take place here in Chicago on April 29, 2017, called Knit Around The Clock. This is a fund raiser for a group called Committed Knitters. You can check them out HERE on Facebook. They are a group of women who once a week, teach women how to knit and crochet at the Cook County jail. The outreach doesn't end at the jail. When the women are released, the group continues to follow up with them to ensure success once they are back out in the world.
They do need donations. A downtown store called Loopy Yarns will accept donations. You can also find them HERE on Facebook. If you attend the event on April 29th, donations will be accepted then as well.
On Tuesday, I shared my goal of completing 12 knitting projects this year. Many need to be completed, so they are not start to finish projects. My initial goal was to complete at least 1 project each month. The only problem is that it's now April, the 4th month of the year, and none are completely finished. Close, but not finished :/
I felt that I needed a jump start, so I went through my selected projects and decided that I could get one completed, a scarf.
I had taken a class with Nora Gaughan while I was in Maine a few summers ago. She had given us a set of 6 different samples to do. I had thought that I would do the samples, but make them into a scarf. I didn't like it, and there it sat. So when I looked at it on Tuesday, I realized that my only option was to rip the entire thing apart, but choose a pattern that I like and just do the 1 pattern for the entire length of the scarf. I'm happy!!! I sat down over the last 3 evenings and knitted away. So now I can mark at least 1 project off the list.
What I am the most excited about is finding out about the Committed Knitters program. So inspiring. What a wonderful resource for duplicate needles, and yarn that I know I am not going to use. My initial goal was just to thin the stash, but I also wrote that one of my goals was to find a home for the things I could not use, or did not want. See, this whole thing of writing it down really does make it happen. And even better, the resource came to me, I didn't even have to look for it!
If you know of resources like Committed Knitters that needs needles and yarn, please leave a message. If there are enough, I can compile them into resource list.
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Rhonda's Creative Life
You may like
Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…read more
I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.
This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:
Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).
There were two things I changed to the pattern:
- the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
- the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.
The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.
Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.read more