Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Dress

April 22, 2017   /   bymotherof5  / Categories :  Feeds
The Twins are really into the cold shoulder look.
Elsa wanted a slinky dress for dressing up and down.
She decided on the Hot Patterns Urban Gypsy blouse
Originally we looked at a Style Arc dress. It was beautiful but Elsa's measurement put her over 3 sizes and they only sell one.
Elsa emailed them for help (as suggested on the site) but we didn't hear back.
I have since seen Lara's version and I think we could have got away with it, c'est la vie.
I drafted the size 8 top and and blended it to the 10 at the hips.
I lengthened the tunic to a dress, by 5 inches, at the hip line.
The recommended elastic length was spot on!
I took a lot of care with the ties and hems, taking the time to do a tiny narrow hem.

It took forever and my poor fingers were singed by the iron but it gives a lovely, expensive feel.
The tunic has a very clever, built in, shelf bra.
I was going to skip it but watched a video explaining how a strapless bra is just not as good so I gave it a go.
In a nut shell, the strapless bra falls down and pulls your boobs down, a shelf bra doesn't.
It fits together really nicely and Elsa has a small bust so I wasn't too worried about support (or lack of it)
She reports it is very, very comfortable as well as very secure.
The cleverest part of this dress is the fabric that my very clever daughter chose.
Elsa wanted a floral rayon and I didn't have any in my stash. I did have several metres of pj satin that she ferreted out.
I dissuaded her, remarking it was a 'Nana' fabric.
She asked why we couldn't just flip it, satin on the inside, matte on the outside?
Brilliant!

~Elsa's Verdict~
Theres not much to say that the photos don't! Isn't it just amazing?
The length isn't too short that makes the splits appropriate not skanky.
 I love love love it and many of my friends want one! Thanks Mum!!!! x

Well, there we are.
I think she looks amazing.

xx N

This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Five and Counting....

You may like


Mirambell Skirt from Pauline Alice Patterns

Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…

read more

Second take on V1525: A red Rebecca Vallance pant suit!

EN Summary: I decided to make myself another Rebecca Vallance pant suit for summer (click here for the first version) and this time around I opted for a fabric which I believe is closer to the original model in color and drape. Keep reading the sewing review (or hop over here to see more photos of me wearing this suit).
PT Sumário: Decidi fazer outro conjunto top e calça Rebecca Vallance para o verão (podem ver a primeira versão aqui) e desta vez optei por um tecido mais parecido com o original, tanto na cor como no cair. Continuem a ler o artigo sobre a confeção completo (ou cliquem aqui para verem mais fotos a usar o conjunto).

Read more – Continuar a ler »

Couture et Tricot is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license
read more

Pollyanna

I have been accused, more than a few times in my life, of being overly optimistic. You wouldn’t think that such a thing could be a negative, but it works against me from time to time, as I persist (usually … Continue reading

read more

Starting to sew from August Burda

I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.

This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:

imageimage

Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).

IMG_5352 (002)

There were two things I changed to the pattern:

  • the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
  • the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
    IMG_5354 (002)

I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.

IMG_5353 (002)

The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.

Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.

read more
Jan 2016 Accuquilt Sale