Seventies FloralApril 3, 2017 / byAnne W / Categories : Feeds
Another new blouse, another new like! I know lots of sewists have had success with Lekala patterns and I was tempted but unsure of how they would be on me. I had some credits from a sewing competition prize a few years back and decided to give this pattern a try. It’s only taken 3 years to get to this stage!
The fabric chosen for the blouse was given to me by a friend. It’s a retro 70s fabric, dark blue with orange and mustard floral details. Some of the flowers are rather large, definitely eye-catching! It’s got some man-made fibre content and is fairly transparent. I think I will be needing a cami to get full use out of this top though.
So, with Lekala you enter your measurements and, like magic, a pattern is generated just for you to print off and start making. The instructions are brief, much like the Burda magazine patterns. I made a toile to check the fit first, and overall it was quite good, the shape was promising but I needed to make a 2.5cm FBA, raise the neckline a little, for me it was a trifle low, and widen the sleeve in the bicep area.
Adjustments done, the making process was relatively painless. I used the overlocker on this instead of French seams, the man-made fibres aren’t too keen on precise pressing so French seams probably wouldn’t have turned out nice and neat. Fine sheer fusible interfacing was applied to the cuffs and the side seam to support the seams containing the invisible zip. It really didn’t take too long to make, although the instructions are brief & consise, they are clear and direct. I must make the cuffs a little tighter though, they hang a little, rather than sit nicely above the elbow.
I like the result, although I wish there’d been a little more fabric to enable me to pattern match across the back. It’s no train-smash, but it would have looked nice. I love the shape of the top, the tie is just right, not too big and floppy and the print is fun. I will run up a cami in a beige silk soon and then I can safely wear it out and about, and show my friend what I’ve finally made in her fabric!
I’ve got another couple of patterns that have hung around for ages to make up this week, I managed to trace the Morgan Jeans by Closet Case Files on the weekend, and have cut a toile for a pair of Burda trousers. Fabric will be from the stash – I’m getting through it at last!!
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at THE COMPULSIVE SEAMSTRESS
You may like
The next step on my coat is attaching the interfacing to the coat front and undercollar. My resources on this were a Craftsy class called “Classic Tailoring: The Blazer”, and a book called “Tailoring: the classic guide to sewing the perfect jacke…read more
Hello! What’s happening, lads? It’s all good here with me: the sun is shining, work is done for the day and the dinner is cooking away (I am making minestrone soup) for later. I have a few days of work and then we’re on holiday – it is good! So, that’s…read more
Hello again! This dress is another project that I finished a long time ago and am just now posting because I was soo excited to wear it I never took photos of it. I made this back in April just in time for spring. Now after this dress I will not be making any more…read more
Hey there! I am thrilled we are at a new week! A new week means there is no hurricane headed my way, power is back on at our house (after almost 48 hours of no power), and all of that adds up to having the brainwaves to put towards sharing a top I sewed months […]read more