Simplicity 1318 – the wearable muslin

April 26, 2017   /   bythornberry  / Categories :  Feeds

Before I sewed my DCF Challenge version of Simplicity 1318 (blogged last year), I sewed a wearable muslin to get a better idea of what size to choose.  This is a pattern that has been well used in the sewing community.  Both the reviews and the finished garment measurements printed on the pattern pieces indicated that there was plenty of ease.  I just wanted to check before I cut into my challenge fabric, so used some leftover Thai cotton double gauze to see if my guess on sizing was right.

Simplicity 1318 view A in thai cotton double gauze

I didn’t have much fabric, so this is view A, the short version without added bands. It was incredibly fast to sew.

simplicity-jackets-coats-pattern-1318-front-back-view

I used the overlocker to finish the raw edges but did most construction on the sewing machine.  I wanted to be able to pivot nicely where the sleeve joins the side seams, and to be able to press the seams open.  Narrow hems were turned twice around the front edges and neckline and topstitched in place.  The bottom hem and sleeve hems were wider but treated the same way.

Simplicity 1318 view A in thai cotton double gauze

There’s really not much to this jacket. I have however discovered that I reach more for longer-line jackets than cropped ones, and this has already been transferred into the wardrobe in the spare bedroom.

Simplicity 1318 view A in thai cotton double gauze

Oh, and size wise? This is size Small, despite my measurements suggesting Medium. Always check those measurements on the pattern pieces and take your own ease preferences into account!


This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at THORNBERRY

You may like


Mirambell Skirt from Pauline Alice Patterns

Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…

read more

Second take on V1525: A red Rebecca Vallance pant suit!

EN Summary: I decided to make myself another Rebecca Vallance pant suit for summer (click here for the first version) and this time around I opted for a fabric which I believe is closer to the original model in color and drape. Keep reading the sewing review (or hop over here to see more photos of me wearing this suit).
PT Sumário: Decidi fazer outro conjunto top e calça Rebecca Vallance para o verão (podem ver a primeira versão aqui) e desta vez optei por um tecido mais parecido com o original, tanto na cor como no cair. Continuem a ler o artigo sobre a confeção completo (ou cliquem aqui para verem mais fotos a usar o conjunto).

Read more – Continuar a ler »

Couture et Tricot is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license
read more

Pollyanna

I have been accused, more than a few times in my life, of being overly optimistic. You wouldn’t think that such a thing could be a negative, but it works against me from time to time, as I persist (usually … Continue reading

read more

Starting to sew from August Burda

I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.

This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:

imageimage

Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).

IMG_5352 (002)

There were two things I changed to the pattern:

  • the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
  • the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
    IMG_5354 (002)

I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.

IMG_5353 (002)

The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.

Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.

read more
Jan 2016 Accuquilt Sale