Printed Linen + Crewel Embroidery ProjectMay 20, 2017 / byKristin Nicholas / Categories : Feeds
On July 29th, I am teaching a class called Fabric Printing and Decorative Embroidery. I've been working on a project to share with the class while I am at the Farmers Markets. It is exactly what the students will be doing.
First I printed the linen fabric with different sizes of circles in brown fabric paint.
I am treated each circle differently adding different embroidery stitches to the fabric. It is a fun project to do and something that is easily totable and easy to pick up and put down if interruptions happen.
Here are the different circles I have stitched.
Each of my stitched circles is a little different. They are small and it is easy to experiment with different stitches. I love this kind of stitching because it is improvisational and free and easy. It's also a great way to play with color.
I use my linen fabric (available on my website here) and 100% crewel wool which is also available on my website.
I also have a similar PATTERN AND KIT available on my website here. Check it out. The pattern is available as a PDF download for $13 here. The kit is available for $46 here. Makes a great project for summer stitching. Crewel is the perfect project to take with you anywhere this summer.
Hope to see some of you here at the farm this summer! Have a great weekend.
I'll be at Webs Tent Sale today from 10 to 5.
This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Getting Stitched on the Farm
You may like
Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…read more
I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.
This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:
Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).
There were two things I changed to the pattern:
- the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
- the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.
The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.
Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.read more