Simple DIY Catapult

May 19, 2017   /   byChrissy Taylor  / Categories :  Feeds

My youngest guy wanted to make a simple DIY Catapult using things that we had around the house. I thought it was a great idea and told him to go ahead and show me what he could come up with. Of course, the boy loves a challenge so he was all in and ready to impress.

Simple DIY Catapult

He literally used three items that I never would have guessed would work together so well, but they did!! We tried launching paper and marshmallows and lots of little harmless things.

Let’s be honest, we had to try this thing out with something fun. Maybe it was cookies, that we tried to get into our cup of milk. You would not believe how hard that actually is to do, but it’s really fun trying. Make sure you have a large space and that you’re ok with cookie crumbs getting everywhere!!

I’d love to say that we got the cookie in the milk, but sadly we did not. That doesn’t mean we didn’t give it our best effort though!!

How to make a Simple DIY Catapult

What you need

  • Toilet paper roll
  • Wooden Spoon
  • 2 elastic bands

Use the elastic bands to cross and hold the wooden spoon on the toilet paper roll. Place the spoon so that the handle is in the air and the other end is touching the table, that way you can hit the handle to launch your item.

This is one of those projects that your kids will spend hours doing because it’s pretty cool to be able to launch things across the room! My son got a little bit crazy and hit the ceiling a few times, so be sure to supervise if you’re worried about that!

What types of easy crafts do you do with your kids? Do you make things out of items you have laying around the house and let them have fun with their imagination?

Simple DIY Catapult

The post Simple DIY Catapult appeared first on Kids Activities Blog.

This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Kids Activities Blog

You may like


Mirambell Skirt from Pauline Alice Patterns

Once in a while I make something and feel like it just needs a little extra zing. Perhaps I chose a fabric that didn’t thrill me, often this happens when it’s something that many would consider a wardrobe basic, in a neutral color. For me that often me…

read more

Second take on V1525: A red Rebecca Vallance pant suit!

EN Summary: I decided to make myself another Rebecca Vallance pant suit for summer (click here for the first version) and this time around I opted for a fabric which I believe is closer to the original model in color and drape. Keep reading the sewing review (or hop over here to see more photos of me wearing this suit).
PT Sumário: Decidi fazer outro conjunto top e calça Rebecca Vallance para o verão (podem ver a primeira versão aqui) e desta vez optei por um tecido mais parecido com o original, tanto na cor como no cair. Continuem a ler o artigo sobre a confeção completo (ou cliquem aqui para verem mais fotos a usar o conjunto).

Read more – Continuar a ler »

Couture et Tricot is licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license
read more

Pollyanna

I have been accused, more than a few times in my life, of being overly optimistic. You wouldn’t think that such a thing could be a negative, but it works against me from time to time, as I persist (usually … Continue reading

read more

Starting to sew from August Burda

I didn’t keep to my pledge of sewing something from a (new) Burda magazine each month. There were two skirts I forgot to blog about, but even if I count these, there are no 6 or 7 garments from Burda magazines sewn by me this year . The August issue could change the numbers. It’s a great issue with quite a few patterns I’d like to make. After seeing previews and especially after seeing some pictures shared by a friend with a subscription, I stalked the newsagent for this issue. It started with a little disappointment that the jacket I like so much is in the petite size range. Perhaps I will draft the details in my jacket pattern at some point, but not now. I have a nice event to go to next week and thought it might be nice to sew a new dress for the occasion.

This is the pattern I’m using, number 119:

imageimage

Not a very straightforward dress to sew. After tracing the pattern pieces the first thing I did was trying to “assemble” the paper pieces, based on the instructions and common sewing sense. That is necessary with Burda, their instructions are not always clear. Something is lost in translation probably (I have the Dutch issue, the original is German).

IMG_5352 (002)

There were two things I changed to the pattern:

  • the length of the bodice (common alteration for me) which was less difficult than it may seem from the line drawing
  • the waist piece. That has a seam at the bottom that is showing easily. In the magazine picture the serged seam is peeking out. I moved the seam to the center back of the waist piece. Easy change and I think it looks better the upper ander under side of that piece both have a folded edge.
    IMG_5354 (002)

I think I got how this is intended to be sewn and am ready to cut it.

IMG_5353 (002)

The pattern calls for 1.95 meter of fabric, the length of my fabric is only 1.80 and it works, It’s probably a bit wider than the fabric Burda used.

Hope this dress works well, I’ve been in doubt of posting this already, but it’s a sewing journey and sometimes it works, sometimes not.

read more
Jan 2016 Accuquilt Sale