A Hummingbird Dress

June 21, 2017   /   byRachel  / Categories :  Feeds
Last summer I made three Hummingbird Dresses for my girls and they wore them all the time. They were the perfect sundresses for our hot Texas summers. The girls continued to wear them into the fall and spring paired with a cardigan. That looked so cute on them and it made the dresses so versatile.


I made quite a few modifications to this pattern, so I wanted to share them here.


First the pattern states that it is very important to cut the bodice based upon the chest measurement and not the child's age or ready-to-wear size. This is what I normally do anyway and this worked well. But I felt the scoop at the center front was too deep.  I had already added 1/2" to the center front, making it less scooped. Still, it's too low for my preference, especially when the dress droops forward like in this photo below.



I consulted with my friend and sewing guru Mie on how I could adjust the fit of the bodice. I've tweaked the pattern the last three times I've made it, and it's still not quite right. I needed some additional guidance on what adjustments to make next time.


She suggested that I could raise the seam even more at the center front of the bodice pattern piece, making the bodice even less scooped. And/or I could shorten the straps. I did take the straps in by 1/2" but I think I could have taken them in by 1 full inch instead. She suggested that I interface the straps so they don't become stretched and thus longer while being worn.  That hadn't even occurred to me, but it's good to know for next time. :D


She pointed out that you don't want to shorten the straps too much because that will affect where the bottom of the bodice lands and it could look strange if it was pulled too high. You can't add additional length to the bodice front because the bodice back is sized to fit the 1" elastic.


I added 2" of width to the back bodice piece because the original sizing felt too tight to comfortably take on and off. This worked perfectly!

I used this tutorial to attach the back bodice to the skirt and to enclose the seam. It resulted in a beautiful, clean finish.  I definitely recommend it.


Finally, I cut the skirt to be 24" in length which is several inches longer than the pattern sizing chart suggests for Tia's height.  Even with this added length, I finished the dress with a narrow hem, so it seems about right to me. I wanted the skirt to hit below the knee.


I cut the skirt width selvedge edge to selvedge edge this time.  I wanted that extra fullness. I definitely wouldn't have made that choice with a heavier cotton, but this is a lightweight double gauze (I bought it here). It's the same fabric line that I used for this project. However, for this simple project, I didn't have any issues with it at all. I even used it as the lining for the front bodice piece. I was so happy with it. (I wrote about why in my previous post.)

I found the fabric for the bodice and straps at JoAnns. It's quite heavy, but I think it works well for this project.


Even though I made quite a few tweaks to this pattern, this is really a simple and straightforward sew that comes together so quickly.  There will be more of these dresses in our future for sure.

This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Stitched Together

You may like


LANDER SEWALONG DAY 5 – WAISTBAND / BUTTONS / HEM

Welcome back for the last day of the Lander sewalong. I am so excited to finish these up and see all of your versions. Let’s get started.   Step 20 – First thing we are going to do is baste the side seams and check for fit. To create a basting stitch, all you need to do is lengthen your stitch length as far as it goes so that it’s easy to unpick if need be. Flip the back pant around so that the right side of the back and right side of the front are touching. Line up the side seams and pin. Baste at a 1” seam allowance. The 1″ seam allowance gives you lots of wiggle room in case you need to let it out a bit around the hip etc… Try the pants on, and adjust as necessary. Make sure that you pin the fly closed when you try them on to get an accurate idea of fit once the buttons are on. You may also want to try them on inside out so that you can easily pin the areas you want to adjust. (The seam allowance at the waist must stay at 1” so […]

read more

180 {Gorgeous} Fall Crafts

We are gathering lots of fall crafts to keep us busy while we start to spend more time indoors.   Fall colors are so beautiful that it makes it really easy to come up with lots of crafts and art projects. The other cool thing about fall crafts is that we get to bring nature…

Read More »

The post 180 {Gorgeous} Fall Crafts appeared first on Kids Activities Blog.

read more

More Harriet Bras!

The Harriet Bra by Cloth Habit in peach lace // handmade by Closet Case PatternsI was going through my photo library this week and realized I totally forgot to blog about some of the

You’re reading More Harriet Bras! by Closet Case Patterns. If you’ve enjoyed this post you can also follow us on Instagram , Twitter and Facebook.

read more

DIY COLOR-BLOCKED DRESS

HI DARLINGS! Well,  I have good news and bad news. The good news is I did the tutorial on this dress which I posted about HERE, and it’s finished. YAY!! The bad news is it won’t be up until tomorrow morning because my new YOUTUBE posting schedule is now Wednesday and Saturdays. PLUS most of […]

The post DIY COLOR-BLOCKED DRESS appeared first on Mimi G Style.

read more