Two Wedding Gowns!

June 30, 2017   /   byPeter Lappin  / Categories :  Feeds

Readers, fasten your seat belts: I've undertaken two wedding gown projects and I hope you'll come along for the hopefully not-too-bumpy ride!

The first is for my client Christina, who's marrying Zack.  Her gown will have a corseted top which may or may not be attached to the skirt.  I've made a muslin of the corset and we've had our first fitting.  As my base, I used Simplicity 5006.  It worked well though I have yet to fit it with the boning inserted.  That's next. 


We're shooting for a strapless gown; naturally the final corset will be stiffer and laced tighter.  Right now we're thinking this dress will be a heavy ivory cotton sateen but it isn't definite.   The skirt will be full.


My second gown is for my client Val, who's marrying Walt.  She has chosen a Thirties-type silhouette.  I'm using Vogue 1032 for my base pattern, which I believe is still in print.  It has a raised waistline and an open back. Though the skirt drape looks like it's on the bias it is actually on the straight grain.

We're shooting for the skirt to be charmeuse overlaid with lightweight lace.

Here's Val at Metro Textiles where we picked up both fabrics.  I believe the lace is mainly rayon; Kashi wasn't sure.


I finished the Vogue muslin today.  It was fun to put together though even soft muslin doesn't really do the design justice, plus the dress form -- a second-hand, high quality 6 I picked up locally; I sold my Made in China PGM -- is a little too small.  I skipped the train for now.

I cut a Size 12, a 34" bust.



Can you picture the bottom in lace?


Anyway, I'm excited about both projects.  Both weddings are in the fall but you know how time flies.  I'll definitely be keeping you posted on my progress.

Have you ever sewn a wedding gown?  How'd it go?

Have a great day, everybody!

UPDATE: You can see Val wearing her muslin here.

This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at male pattern boldness

You may like


Sage Shacket

When I was at Walmart I found cotton twill material for $1 a yard that I thought would make perfect muslins.  However, I quickly decided this sage green material would make a nice shacket.Last time I made KwikSew 3251 I thought it fit perfect, exc…

read more

Closet Case Patterns – Ginger Flares

This is my third pair of Gingers.  The first pair are here, but the second pair didn’t make it to the blog due to bad fabric happening to good sewists.  Anyway, the fabric for this pair came from a sale at Sherwood Fabrics. My first pair…

read more

A Letter To My 24-Year-Old Self….

I’ve been reflecting on 10 years of blogging, all that has changed and some things that have surprisingly stayed…

read more

FREEBIE TUTORIAL! EASY DIY DRESS + TOP

HI DARLINGS! Happy Friday. This easy DIY top pattern is in the current issue of SEW SEW DEF MAGAZINE. Aside from the freebie patterns you get in each issue we always have easy DIY projects and this is one of them. I thought I would share it here for you. The instructions for drafting the […]

The post FREEBIE TUTORIAL! EASY DIY DRESS + TOP appeared first on Mimi G Style.

read more

0 comments

Leave a reply

Jan 2016 Accuquilt Sale