Birds for the Summer

July 2, 2017   /   byAnne W  / Categories :  Feeds

So, this post should have gone live last week, but it seems I’m unable to use the scheduling tool properly….

Burda skirt 106 5/2012

It’s another make for daughter No 2 to take to Madeira.  The pattern is Burdastyle, #106 from May 2012 (unfortunately not available as a download on the website).  She’d put this pattern on her list of “wants” for this year.  Luckily she’d had a good wardrobe clear-out, helped by her sister, last summer.  So now, instead of me just making what I think she’ll like, I’m sticking to The List.

While routing through my fabric stash at the same time, she chose this grey bird print cotton for the skirt.  It was what was left over after making a gorgeous vintage dress I’d made a couple of years ago.  There is pretty much nothing left of that fabric now, so I’m chuffed that’s another piece properly used up!!

We love the high waist on this skirt, and the pockets have received the thumbs up as well!  The skirt consists of front and back panels, as well as side panels, all gored to provide a decent amount of fullness that ends below the knee.  The centre front consists of a concealed button stand, the instructions for which were a little odd – the next time I make this I’ll be doing it very differently.

The pockets are a doddle, the welts could provide for a design feature, using an alternative grain or fabric to emphasise them would look good.  Piping could also be inserted at the join.  I used black buttons from the stash for the majority of the (hidden) buttons, and two grey buttons for the visible buttons at the waist.

It’s all in the details

I took the waist in to make it similar to the culottes I’d just finished, but for some reason although that works just fine, on the skirt it’s a little on the tight side.  Of course, we only realised that after she’d taken the skirt away!  So when it comes home with her before she heads off back to Uni in September, I’ll let the waist out again.  I’d love to make another version of this pattern, that mustard in the original photograph is still lurking in the back of my brain…

I need to get on with photographing all my June makes, I’ve been quite happily wearing them all, but no photos just yet!  In the meantime, The Monthly Stitch will be kicking off Independent Pattern Month again in July and I’ve decided to take part again.  I’ll do anything to get through my stash faster!  Anyone else interested?


This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at THE COMPULSIVE SEAMSTRESS

You may like


Simplicity 8105

A quick post about a quick tee I made for Liddy.The Simplicity 8105 I saw this pattern on Lara’s instagram and thought it was perfect for my girls too.I sewed up the largest size (a 14 I think) in a stretchy cott…

read more

#ebonyTee – just two more (for now)

Yes, I know! MORE Ebony Tee’s…haven’t I got anything better to do? Well yes (actually no – so if you have any pattern suggestions please let me know)…but these are different as I’ve added one inch to the length so I can wear them with my tighter pa…

read more

The Buying a House Blouse


Hello, everyone!  It’s been quite a while since I have posted anything.



The main reason for my online disappearance is the fact that I am now a homeowner!  That process has kept me rather busy, and the move, etc., has not left much time for sewing, let alone blogging.  I was actually without internet for a couple of weeks which was rather refreshing.


Of course, I wanted to make a new outfit for the occasion, but there was not a lot of free time prior to closing.  But I was determined!  


I have been wanting to make this blouse for years.  I often pull out scraps of fabric along with the pattern, hoping that I can squeeze out an entire garment, but it never has worked for me.  Until now!


The leftovers from this skirt and this dress were tucked away in a drawer, and while the dye lots do not match, I think I managed to make it work.  The neck tie was made with the leftovers from the skirt, and the rest of the blouse (which is a slightly more pigmented and heavier weight cotton) was cut from the remains of the dress.  There were quite a few people who thought that the look was actually a dress, so I guess the difference is not terribly obvious.


These photos were taken about an hour after signing all of the paperwork (in my old neighborhood).  I was exhausted, but very happy.


I really began looking in earnest over a year ago, so it was a huge relief to finally be done.


It has been quite an adventure, and my new living space is still not “finished,” but Valentino and I are definitely settling in, and I am finally getting back into a routine – one that will definitely include many more sewing adventures!



Blouse:  Made by me, Butterick 4985

Skirt:  Made by me, Butterick 4792
Shoes:  Born “Kharen”

read more

What to Pack For a Day at the Beach With a Toddler

It’s not summer to me until we’ve been to the beach. Being by the water has always been so restful and healing for my soul. The older I get, the more of a beach gal I seem to become. I’m happy to report that Piper shares my love of the water and has loved the […]

The post What to Pack For a Day at the Beach With a Toddler appeared first on Love Lola | A Life & Style Blog.

read more

0 comments

Leave a reply

Jan 2016 Accuquilt Sale