Turia Dungarees

July 3, 2017   /   byTeresa  / Categories :  Feeds

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

Happy Summer!  I have a post that has been long in the making and I’m super excited to share it with you!  These are the Turia Dungarees and I’m in love with them!

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

I bought the Turia Dungarees pattern exactly three years ago, and then did absolutely nothing with it for over two years.  Well, I bought the fabric for these overalls about a year ago, and again did nothing with it (this time for months!).  I don’t know why I do that, but here we are!

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

Finally, when I started sewing I was so excited.  I had done a lot of research to figure out exactly what I wanted my overalls to look like, and what changes I’d need to make to the pattern.  As the pattern is written, the legs on the overalls aren’t very fitted.  And the overalls open and close with a side zipper.  I had been looking at RTW overalls and really liked the look of these three pairs, skinny legs, large bib pocket, light wash.

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

The first thing I did was make a long list of changes to the pattern!  I knew with the stretch of the denim, I could get away without any side opening.  So these overalls just (snugly, with a little bit of wiggling) slide on and off (no side buttons or zipper).  I also grabbed a pair of my RTW jeans that were slim, but not super skinny, and traced them for the shape of the legs.

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

Next, I decided to lower the waist of the jeans by 2.5 inches, so I could add a waistband.  The original pattern has the pants lead straight into the front bib, without a waistband in between.  I also added beltloops.  Both of these pattern pieces I grabbed from the ginger jeans pattern.  Last modification in the waist area was to add a faux fly (again this template came from the ginger jeans pattern).

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

When I was looking at RTW overalls, I noticed the bib pocket usually is pretty big.  I just made up my own pocket piece, wanting it to cover almost the entire front bib!  I also used traditional overall buckles.  These were a vintage pair I found on etsy!

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

The last couple changes I made were to the back of the overalls.  I made some very similar changes that Sasha made to the back of her Turia Dungarees, to help the back of the bib sit closer to my body!  The back pockets that come with the Turia pattern are pretty small, so I used the pocket pattern piece from the ginger jeans.

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

Phew, I think that was it on the pattern modifications!  Once I sewed these up, I realized they were way too pristine looking for overalls, so I started distressing.  I used sandpaper and razors to add distressing along seam lines, on pockets, and at my knees!  But then I realized I really wanted my overalls to be lighter.  I did one bleach bath, constantly stirring the jeans.  I was so nervous that I would leave them in too long and hate the light color!  But, once I washed them. they still were not light enough.  I did a second bleach bath, again stirring constantly!  I was less nervous this time, a little more confident that they would come out great and it worked!  I couldn’t tell you how long or what bleach to water ratio I used, I completely just winged it!  After all the bleach, I did a tea bath overnight.  I absolutely love the results!

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

These Turia Dungarees were a lot of work, but it was all so much fun!  I would absolutely make them again!

Here’s a quick breakdown of the details!

Pattern: Turia Dungarees

Fabric: Stretch Denim from Indiesew (sold out)

Size: 38

Changes:  there are way too many to list here!  Read above to see all the changes!

Modifications I’d Make Next Time: I’d change the crotch curve a bit, maybe compare it to the ginger jeans pattern to get a better fit.  Other than that, I’d keep all the changes already made!

Turia Dungarees :: Dandelion Drift

The post Turia Dungarees appeared first on Dandelion Drift.

This is a syndicated post. Please visit the original author at Dandelion Drift

You may like


Liesl + Co Chai Tee – twice!

I love the name of this tee – it really does just roll off the tongue! I sewed up the Liesl + Co Chai Tee shortly after release. All of Liesl Gibson’s patterns are beautifully drafted with excellent instructions, and this pattern was no exception. From the website: This simple and stylish pull-on top is much… Continue reading Liesl + Co Chai Tee – twice!

read more

Magnify Those Stitches

Here’s a sneak peek at a recent work in progress.  These jeans will be featured in an upcoming issue of Designs in Machine Embroidery and I’m excited to see them on the model. I know you’ve seen the flower patches in previous posts but check out the magnifying effect on this patch: Isn’t that fun? […] Read more…

read more

PATTERN HACK PUFF SLEEVE DRESS TUTORIAL!

HI DARLINGS! as promised here is the DIY TUTORIAL on my PUFF SLEEVE DRESS. Make sure to subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL so you can get notifications on new uploads. You can see a ton of pics of my finished dress in THIS POST.
The post PATTERN HACK PUFF…

read more

Sharp Corners with Chain Stitch

In her Field Guide to Birds, Carolyn Hedge Baird recommends Chain Stitch as one of only a few stitches great for outlining. I agree and I love to use and recommend it for thick outlines. There’s little problem with it if the line is straight or curvy. But what if your area has corners or […]

The post Sharp Corners with Chain Stitch appeared first on Nuts about Needlepoint.

read more